Congratulations! You have closed on your new home and probably have a list a mile long of things you want to get done. While you might be tempted to dive into unpacking, these 5 tasks should be your top priority:
- Change the Locks and Security System – the previous owners could have made copies of keys for family members, dog walkers, etc. so changing the locks will give you peace of mind. In addition, make sure any security systems are updated with your names, contact information and new codes. The code to automatic garage key pads should also be changed.
- Change your address and register to vote – update your address with USPS to start receiving mail at your new home. You can also register to vote with in your new town. If there is an election within the first 60 days of your move, you can vote at your old polling location or mail in an absentee ballot.
- Register and License any pets – Some towns have a specific time of year when they push to have all pets licensed. However, if you can remember to take care of this and update the address on any ID tags, it will save you a headache and possibly a licensing fee later. If your pet is microchipped, don’t forget to update the address on file so your furry friend will be returned to you in case of an emergency.
- Change your License and Registration – Most states require you to update your license and registration within 30 days of a new move. Some DMV locations offer an online change of address service. If you’ve changed states, your car will need to be registered within 60 days.
- Update Insurance Policies and Bank Accounts – Insurance rates can vary depending on location, to make sure to update all insurance policies immediately after your move. Any other important accounts, including your bank account should be updated as well.